Check in / out

1 Guest

- 1 +

menu

Book on line

Check in

Check out

1 Guest

Search

Palazzo delle Pietre

An unforgettable stay in one of the most iconic and sophisticated places in Rome, where elegance and quality merge with great attention to detail and the absolute professionalism of the staff.
 

The History

Palazzo delle Pietre, located right in the heart of Rome just a stone's throw away from Piazza Navona and the Pantheon, in Via delle Coppelle, boasts ancient roots. The Campo Marzio neighbourhood, where the Palazzo is located, began to develop as early as the Roman Republican age and, over the centuries, has undergone several transformations; first in the Middle Ages, later during the Renaissance and in the Baroque period , up to the present day with the last modifications in the twentieth century.
Via delle Coppelle was born as an axis on which the historical fabric of Imperial Rome developed in the Campo Marzio area to connect this area to the Tiber river on the Ripetta port. Over the decades this space has always played a pivotal role: the current Palazzo delle Pietre was originally erected prior to the 1400s, at the famous Alexandrian Baths - ex Neroniane - built in 62 A.D., and was in use until the 5th century A.D.; it was talked about it in the Middle Ages, when it witnessed the creation of the "Via Recta" which, retracing the Roman route, aimed at taking the pilgrims from the centre, passing through Via delle Coppelle, up to San Pietro. In the 15th century, the body of Via delle Coppelle was bound to the name of the Vatican Archconfraternity of the Santissima Annunziata and remained its property until the mid-nineteenth century. In the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, there were several changes of ownership of the premises belonging to the Santissima Annunziata which were split into various buildings. The Palazzo delle Pietre was purchased by the Mazzi family in 2012, and was in a state of total neglect.
 

The History

Palazzo delle Pietre
as it is today: between design and art

An evocative and suggestive name the one which was chosen for this building, which speaks of the history of a family, its interests and projects. A magical place where tradition is closely linked to experimentation and collecting, where travertine portals and ancient friezes are inlaid in the walls creating a close dialogue with the numerous ancient stones, donated by Carlo Mazzi, which adorn all the environments of the Palazzo delle Pietre.
 

Palazzo delle Pietre<br>as it is today: between design and art

The Made in Italy

The elegant interior design of Palazzo delle Pietre is the result of the work of the engineer Carlo Mazzi assisted by Mp2a Architetti Associati Studio, while the choice of furnishings and fabrics was taken care of and overseen by his wife Patrizia and his daughter Barbara.
Each apartment is characterised by hand-decorated ceilings, with the use of different colours, with the silk curtain upholstery and the cushions made by "Lo Studio" of  the Milanese Beatrice Petriccioni of Vada.
The warm and cozy atmosphere is created by the lamps, all designed by Artemide. The refined design is also reflected in the choice of the combination of modern furnishings by De Padova, Alivar and Danese, with classic Caucasian tapestries from the Milanese Altai Gallery, belonging to the Carrieri family, all in perfect harmony with the stones. Research into the quality of raw materials has been highlighted through the intervention of specialised craftsmen who have restored ceilings, all the fixtures and antique furniture, giving them new light and brilliance.
The kitchens of the apartments are equipped with the most advanced technologies and enriched by a selection of accessories, from Sambonet cutlery to Richard Ginori porcelain.
Finally the fine linens of Rivolta and Carmignani dress the beds and the bathrooms, while the accessories are taken care of by Mario Luca Giusti and Alessi, with external furnishings by Ethimo and Ecliss.
 

The Made in Italy

The Stones

Most of them are stones from a family collection initiated by a great-great-grandfather of Carlo Mazzi, between the end of the nineteenth century and the first decade of the twentieth century, enriched by purchases made by Carlo himself at Italian antique dealers and, in particular, from the Antichità Fiorillo. 
All these objects are of Italian origin and date back to various periods: from the Roman imperial period (I BC – III AD), to the Romanesque period and to the Renaissance.

The Stones

The surroundings of the Palazzo delle Pietre

The beating heart of the eternal city, the central hub of the Italian capital: the Palazzo delle Pietre lives in Via delle Coppelle, just a minute away from Piazza della Rotonda, where one of the most important monuments of Rome stands: The Pantheon. 
Built in 27 BC by Marco Vispanio Agrippa, it was left abandoned for almost two centuries and underwent several changes until 1870, when it was declared a memorial to the kings of Italy, and was restored as seen today.
There are many marvels surrounding the Palazzo delle Pietre: San Luigi dei Francesi - a splendid church dating back to the 1500s - which hosts, among its altar and the two adjacent walls, three masterpieces made by Caravaggio: Saint Matthew and the Angel, the Martyrdom of St. Matthew and the Vocation of St. Matthew.
On the opposite side of the church, there is Palazzo Giustiniani - built at the end of the 1500s - in which in 1947 the Constitution of the Republic was signed, and which today is the residence of the President of the Senate of the Italian Parliament.
The former convent of the Augustinians and, in particular, the church of Sant 'Agostino is known for the venerated Madonna del Parto made by Jacopo Sansovino, and for the works of Raffaello and Caravaggio.
Just three minutes walk away from the Palazzo delle Pietre, the view gets lost in the spectacular Piazza Navona, whose shape and dimensions come from its original public destination as Domitian's Stadium before 86 A.D., destination later confirmed also by Nerone who had an amphitheater built there for the “five-year games”. 
The "fountain of the rivers" is the center of the square, built in 1651, and is a masterpiece made by Bernini.
Walking through the historic center you can reach, in ten minutes, the famous Trevi Fountains, a sublime work begun in 1732 by Nicola Salvi, and completed in 1762. 
The fountain is a perfect combination of classical rigor and the Baroque art and - due to the fact that, through the years, it has become one of the symbols of Rome - and many  legends were built around it. In particular, the most famous folk tradition requires the visitor of Rome to  throw a coin inside it to ensure that one day he/she will return to the Italian capital.
Even the shopping around the Palazzo delle Pietre strikes the right balance between a particular and refined style - typical of the individual merchants of Via di Campo Marzio and Via Borgognona - and the world famous names on the famous Via Condotti, which leads to the wonderful Piazza di Spagna. 
This square, together with Piazza Navona and Piazza Venezia,  is among the most famous in the world; in the sixteenth century it became the cultural and tourist centre of the city to the point that hotels, inns and residential houses were built around it and, in the 1800s, it became animated by photographers and antique dealers. 
The stairway of Trinità dei Monti - dated the Baroque period - which represents the spectacular setting of Piazza di Spagna, was built with the aim of compensating the enormous difference in height between the square and the church placed above it. 
During Spring, the staircase is adorned with flowers and it is a truly eye-catching.
Here is the added value of the Palazzo delle Pietre: the extraordinary beauty of Rome presented in its most suggestive places just a few steps from home, your Roman home.
 

The surroundings of the Palazzo delle Pietre

An Historical House

The Palazzo delle Pietre, thanks to its origins, its history and its rediscovered identity, is part of the Italian Historic Houses network (www.dimorestoricheitaliane.it), "the first circuit dedicated to the promotion of the most exclusive historic houses of Italy ".

An Historical House