As one of the most famous fountains in Rome, the Trevi Fountain can be found in the square of the same name, offering a lovely view of the meeting of several tiny streets in the historic centre. As the end point of the ancient Virgin Aqueduct, it was built between 1732 and 1762 at the behest of Pope Clement XII, following the work of its architect Nicola Salvi. A majestic stone edifice sits on Palazzo Poli, allowing the water to flow into the large pool beneath the statue of Oceano, driving his shell-shaped chariot. The fountain’s name has two possible origins; either it references the meeting of three streets in the square or the three streams of water flowing into the fountain basin. The last big restoration of the fountain took place in 2014.